Sunday, March 6, 2011

Today's Workout

Today was a great day at the gym. I started out at the Oland Centre pool. As you may know, I am going to participate in a Triathlon this summer. In order for me to participate, I need to get in the pool and do some swimming. Today was the beginning of my training in the pool. Well, I am not sure you can really call what I did today training. I was really just trying to get reaquainted with the water. It has been awhile since I have done any type of swimming except for relaxing in the water at the beach.

I used to be a pretty good swimmer. I used to teach swimming lessons and I had my Life Saving I so I was used to swimming laps. But that was many years ago and I have only gotten older. It was quite an eye opener. I thought I would be able to do quite a few laps of the front crawl. Boy was I wrong! I was able to do one full length of the front crawl...ONLY ONE! Then I had to take a break and do the breast stroke. I ended up doing most of the laps in the breast stroke. I have a long way to go to get to where I need to be.

The swim portion of the triathlon is 750 meters. That is 30 lengths of the pool or 15 laps. That is a long distance. Then add in the fact that it is going to be in the ocean, with waves, and who knows what the weather will be like! Let's just say that I have more training to do in the pool than I thought I was going to have to do.

After my eye opening swim, I went to Goodlife Fitness for my workout. I worked my chest, biceps and abs. I was quite suprised at how tired my chest and biceps were after swimming. I didn't think that I worked that hard at the swimming, but when I got into my workout I realized that I was quite tired. I will definately have to make sure I plan my workouts so that I am not working my chest on a day that I am swimming.

I hope you had a great weekend,

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment