Monday, September 19, 2011

Cape Breton Fiddlers Run

Well hello, it's been awhile hasn't it? I will give you an update on what I have been up to the last few months but first I want to tell you about the Cape Breton Fiddlers Run that I participated in yesterday.

Now, most of you will know that I don't particularly enjoy running. Actually, I despise running, while I am actually doing it! But I get a feeling of accomplishment when I finish a run and that is one of the reasons that I do it. Another reason I run is to challenge myself. I really do want to feel like a runner and I want to enjoy it, but I find it so hard and, honestly, I really don't enjoy it. I want to improve on my time and I want to prove to myself that I can do whatever I set my mind to. That is why I run.

A while back I set a goal for myself to complete a 5km run in less than 30 minutes. Well, I have tried many, many times to reach this goal but was not successful in attaining it. It is the challenge that keeps me trying. Each time I didn't reach my goal I didn't look at myself as a failure. I looked at myself as someone who was not going to give up. Goals should be challening and it is in challenging yourself that you learn more about yourself and you grow as a person. With each race I completed and did not reach my goal I learned a little more about myself.

I went to Syndey with Aimee, Todd and Ceileigh Lyons. We left on Saturday and stayed at Aimee's parents house, in North Sydney, for the night. Thanks so much Donna and Doug. Oh, by the way Donna makes THE BEST fish chowder!

The run was at 8am in Sydney so it was an early morning for Aimee, Todd and I. We arrived at the run and I have to say that the vibe that I feel from everyone at the run is amazing. I get so inspired when I see all these fit people and each person has their own reason for competing in the race. But what inspires me more is seeing the people who may not look very fit, but they are there doing something for their health. They are the ones that I am cheering for inside.

The full marathoners were the first to start then the 10k racers. Then it was our turn. I was a little nervous, but it was a good nervous...the kind that pumps you up. The horn sounded and we were off. We started out at a good pace and I felt really good. Usually my knee will start to hurt the first minute in but there was no pain. A few minutes in, I had the usual "what am I doing" thoughts, which are normal for me. I always tell myself "it's only 30 minutes, you can do anything for 30 minutes. Push through and you will be fine."

I began to concentrate on my breathing, nice slow rhythmical breaths in and out, in and out, in and out. Then we hit the first incline. Now, really there were no inclines, but any slight incline to me is like climbing a mountain to me (just a little exageration there). I really do find any incline hard, but life dosen't always have to be easy, right? I think I do the right things, shorten my stride and concentrate on my breathing, but I still find them hard. I look ahead and see that it is a short incline and I tell myself, "it is only just to there, you can do it."

I was watching Aimee's stride for a while. Her legs are shorter than mine but she has a longer stride than me. I watched a bit and tried to mimic her stride and I think I learned a few things that I will have to practice.

I was starting to get tired and Aimee was pulling ahead of me alittle bit, but it kept me going. I wanted to keep up with her the best I could. She did an awesome job of keeping me going. Thanks Aimee.

By the time we hit the first water station, my throat was dry but I didn't take a glass of water. Note to time, take the water! I started to slow down a bit and Aimee was just up ahead of me a little ways and I was determined to get this run done.

Before I knew it we were at the turn around point and I told myself that I was half way done all I had to do was run back, no biggie. Soon, I was at the water station again and this time I took the water. Shortly after, there was quite an incline (still not very big, but it is the one that GOT me). I was out of breath and I felt like I had to walk or I was going to vomit. I walked for a bit and thankfully it was just gas. Another note to self...Don't take your fish oils the morning of a race! I released the gas and was on my way again.

I knew I was getting close to finishing and I was feeling worn out. I started to walk for a few seconds and then I was joined by Todd. He came to run the last 500 meters or so with me. I was tired and felt like I couldn't do it, but Todd told me to push. I was so close to finishing, he told me to look at the read 29:11. I am so close to finishing in under 30 mins. I felt like I was never going to get there. The last few seconds were like you see in the movies...slow motion with the clock ticking, second after second went by and it felt like minutes to me. I crossed the finish line with everything I had and guess what my time was? Come on, guess! If you guessed 29:17, you were right!

I finally finished a 5k race in under 30 minutes. I completed this goal that I have been trying to reach for the last year and it feels so good. In trying to reach this goal, I have learned to never give up and that I really can do what I set my mind to. It may not have been easy, but it was definately worth it!

10k here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment