Saturday, January 29, 2011

Fun with New Recipes

I have been getting bored with eating the same things over and over and over again so today is a day of trying new recipes. I have a few Eat Clean cookbooks and that is were I am looking for my new recipes. There are so many recipes that sound wonderful and I am excited to try each and every one of them. Here are the ones that I am going to make today and tomorrow:

Morning Berry Strata
Maple Syrup Crockpot Beans
Citrus Spread
Zesty Spinach Soup
Brown Rice Meatloaf
Lemon & Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes
I will let you know how each of these recipes turns out and if I like them or not.
I already made the Citrus Spread and it is wonderful. Here is how to make it.
The day before you want to make Citrus Spread you need to make yogurt cheese. To make yogurt cheese all you need to do is place four layers of damp cheese cloth in a fine mesh sieve or colander. Place the colander over a bowl. Add low-fat plain yogurt and let it drain overnight in the refrigerator. Discard the water. You will be left with a soft, creamy cheese-like product. It can be used like cream cheese but it has way less calories, sodium, and lactose and more protein than cream cheese. Hint- Make sure your yogurt contains no gelatin or binding agents. There many things you can do with yogurt cheese. I plan to keep it in my fridge at all times.
Citrus Spread
1 cup yogurt cheese
2 TBSP agave nectar (I used agave syrup, I don't know if there is a difference)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup fresh strawberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup orange segments
1 1/2 tsp finely grated orange peel
Add all ingredients to your food processor and process until smooth...or leave it a little chunky if you prefer.
Nutritional value for 2 TBSP serving
Calories 35, Calories from fat 4, Protein 2g, Carbs 6g, Total fat 0.5g, Fiber 0.5g, Sodium, 21 mg, Cholesterol 2 mg, Sugar 6g
You can put this on toast, use it as dip for fruit or any other way you can imagine using it. Have fun with it. It is so delicious, it tastes like a party in your mouth!
I can't wait to try the next recipe...stay tuned to see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment